Bob Kuo, a freshman majoring in business from Taiwan, shared how to make scrambled eggs with tomatoes, which he described as a very famous Chinese dish.
According to News Medical Life Sciences, a raw tomato only release 4 percent of its lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidant that helps prevent cancer. However, heating a tomato with oil increases the amount of lycopene released.
Because tomato eggs is nutritious and the cooking process is short and simple, Bob said he often made it when he was serving his mission in Provo.
Bob explained, “The abundant taste combined with sweet and sour reminded me of my hometown. Sometimes, I only ate tomato eggs for my meal.” He offered his recipe with personal tips for each step.
1 tsp. of sugar
1 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. of cornstarch
Green onion (optional)
1. Cut the tomatoes into small slices.
2. Stir eggs with salt and add a few drops of cooking oil.
The small amount of oil will make the eggs have a smoother taste.
3. Mix 1 bottle cap of cornstarch with water. Cornstarch can be replaced with potato starch/flour.
4. Put oil in the pan, then crack the egg and add it to the pan.
Don’t wait for the oil to be heated if you the egg to be creamy.
5. Once the egg is almost completely cooked (about 80 percent), take it out of the pan. Put in the tomatoes.
Cooking the eggs and tomatoes separately gives the best taste and quality. Since tomatoes require more time to cook than the egg, cooking them separately is the best way to avoid overcooking the egg and ensure its creamy taste.
6. Add 1 tsp. of sugar and 1 tsp. of salt.
Natural tomatoes have a sour taste and it’s not a good match with eggs. Sugar can neutralize the sour taste of tomatoes, and it also enhances the fresh taste of tomatoes and egg.
7. Pour 30 ml of water into the pan.
Tomatoes extract water themselves when heated, so not a lot water is needed to cook them.
8. Add a bit of ketchup (optional).
9. Cover the pan for 2-3 minutes.
10. Once the tomatoes are well-cooked, pour the cornstarch water into the pan.
Thickening the soup is not the only thing cornstarch does. When tomatoes and egg are mixed together, the cornstarch base makes the egg creamier as well.
11. Put the scrambled eggs back in the pan and stir them thoroughly.