’Otai (OH-tye) originated in Polynesia and is enjoyed across the region. This recipe is from the Polynesian Cultural Center's website.
• 1/2 large watermelon
• 1 can crushed pineapple
• 3 cups of cold water
• 1 can coconut milk
• Sugar (optional, to taste)
• Crushed Ice
1. Use a fork to scrape the inside of the watermelon into shreds or cut the watermelon into large chunks and use the large side of your grater to grate the fruit.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients. Do not drain the pineapple juice — add it all together.
4. Add enough crushed ice to equal at least 1/3 of the ‘otai mixture.
5. Serve immediately after adding the ice.